Muscle support guide: run further with compression
Find how compression works and how ASICS’ Muscle Support gives you the help you need to go further and gain an extra edge on your longest runs
Why your muscles get tired
We’ve all felt that feeling somewhere during a race when your heart is pounding and your muscles are burning, crying out at you to stop or slow down. But why does it happen?
It’s all because of oxygen.
Oxygen fuels our muscles during exercise, powering us to go further, to go faster and to cross the finish line.
When you don’t have enough oxygen you produce lactic acid, causing the burning sensation and tiredness every runner has felt at some point.
Then there’s the heart – the further and harder you go, the faster your heart has to beat. And once again, it’s all down to oxygen:
- Blood passes through the lungs, where it picks up oxygen to deliver to the muscles (oxygenated blood)
- The heart pumps oxygenated blood to your muscles where it drops of the oxygen your muscles need and picks up waste lactic acid
- The blood – now deoxygenated – returns to the heart through your veins, ready to start the whole process again
So to reduce tiredness and fatigue, you need to be able to deliver oxygen more efficiently. But you also need to get deoxygenated blood back to the heart and remove lactic acid from your muscles as quickly as possible.
That’s where compression running clothes come into their own.
How compression clothing works
Compression clothing is graduated, with greater pressure on the muscles further from the heart compared to those closer to it.
Take a tight for example. It’s tighter around the ankle than it is around the knee, squeezing the calf muscles and giving your veins a helping hand to push deoxygenated blood back up the legs and towards the heart.
It means you can:
- Run further as you’ll get more oxygen into the blood to power your muscles
- Recover faster because you’ll be removing waste lactic acid quicker, reducing soreness in the muscles
Head-to-toe – how our clothing uses compression
The Muscle Support range is designed specifically for running, and targets key areas to reduce muscle vibration and improve your posture. So as well as giving you the compression you need, it’s doing much more as well.
Take a look at how some of our Muscle Support clothing works:
- You get muscle support in the areas you need it most – the knees and quads. It cuts down on muscle vibration, and backs it up with a core belt that helps improve your posture.
- Compression tights for men
- Compression tights for women
Compression calf sleeve
- Perfect when it’s too hot for full-length tights, it helps to increase circulation of deoxygenated blood from your calf muscles and back to the heart.
- Compression calf sleeve for men
- Compression calf sleeve for women
Compression calf support
- Keeps your calf muscles in place and reduces vibration so they can work more efficiently and recover faster.
- Compression calf support for men
- Compression calf support for women
- Provides pressure from the ankle to the calf to increase bloodflow and also reduces vibration in the muscles during your run, helping them work more efficiently.
- Compression socks for men
- Compression socks for women
- These can be worn all day and are made of a special CELLIANT™ material that promotes healthy bloodflow and oxygen levels. They also provide compression to help your muscles recover faster.
- Recovery socks for men
- Recovery socks for women
- These work to adjust your posture, opening up the chest and allowing you to take in more oxygen to feed your muscles.
- Compression tops for men
- Compression tops for women