HOW TO STAY DRY WHILE RUNNING
‘I can’t go out running – it’s raining!’ It’s a common excuse and we’ve all used it at some point. But it needn’t be such an easy excuse, as long as you have the right gear to protect you from the elements and keep you warm. Find out how you can stay dry when you’re out running.
When it rains you’ll need to keep your running gear dry. Technically this means keeping an eye on two different things. Your clothes should keep you dry from:
- rain from the outside
- sweat from the inside
FINDING THE RIGHT RUNNING CLOTHING
ASICS running clothing uses advanced fabrics that keep you protected and dry, as well as comfortably warm. Particularly suited for wet weather are tops made of the lightweight Softshell material. It’s made of three thin layers and is designed to be:
- water and wind repellent
- breathable and wick moisture away from your skin
- thermoregulating – i.e. it traps warm air close to your skin to regulate temperature
In addition, ASICS running clothing is based on a layering concept that allows you to combine items depending on your needs and the climate you run in. Layering allows you to choose a suitable combination of up to 3 layers:
- outer or shell layer to protect you from wind and rain
- mid layer for thermoregulation and to provide extra warmth
- inner or base layer for thermoregulation
In winter you might choose to wear 3 layers, while in spring you can use 2. Winter items are also available in different thicknesses so you can toughen up in colder weather and choose lighter items in milder weather.
CHOOSING A TOP AND BOTTOM
- a shell layer of Softshell or Gore Windstopper to protect you from rain and wind
- depending on the temperature, a base and/or mid layer of brushed material to provide warmth and keep you dry from sweat
- tights of brushed material to keep your leg muscles warm, and padded with Softshell material on the front to protect you from rain
- if it’s very cold a pair of shorts to wear over your tights
STAY VISIBLE IN BAD LIGHT
Another important factor to think about in winter running gear is your visibility. In winter, when the days are short and you’re often forced to run in the dark, it is essential for your safety that you are visible for other road users. ASICS running clothing features reflective details to ensure your visibility, often applying them through 360 degrees so you can be seen from all sides. You can also run with a small LED lamp. Want to brave the rain and cold? Explore our collection of running clothes.