Effective: October 25, 2017
We value the trust that you place in us by sharing your personal data with us. ASICS takes your privacy seriously and is committed to handling your personal data in a way that is fair and worthy of that trust. ASICS will take all reasonable steps to protect your information from misuse and keep it secure.
- Who We Are
- Personal Data We Collect
- What We Do With Your Personal Data
- How We Share Your Data
- Cookies, Analytics and Personalization
- Social Media
- If You are Under 16 Years of Age
- International Transfers of Data
- Data Retention
- Your Rights
- Other Websites
- Changes to the Policy
- Data Protection Officer - Contact and Queries
WHO WE ARE
ASICS is an international athletic equipment company, with headquarters in Japan and establishments worldwide. Our name is an acronym for the Latin phrase Anima Sana In Corpore Sano (sound mind and sound body). ASICS was founded on the belief that sports is the best way to create sound mind and body. Our brands include ASICS, ASICS Tiger, Onitsuka Tiger, Haglöfs and Runkeeper.
WHAT PERSONAL DATA DO WE COLLECT?
The information we collect about you when you buy our Products or use our Services may include the following (jointly referred to as: ‘personal data’).
- Your contact details. Your name, postal address and other contact details, such as your telephone number and e-mail address.
- Your account data and electronic identification data (including data added thereto). Your ASICS ID account or other ASICS account (if you have made such an account with us) and other electronic identification data (such as IDFA, GAID, IP address, MAC address) and the data you add to your ASICS ID account or other ASICS account, such as your password, your date of birth, your gender, your language of preference, the time zone you live in, your picture and other information you may share with us.
- Information regarding your use of our online services and applications. This may include data regarding the pages you visit, the products and services you like and the content of your abandoned shopping cart.
- Your purchases in our stores and online. The data we collect if you purchase a product or service in one of our stores or online, such as the amount and date of your purchase, the product or service you purchase, location of the store, the website or app through which you make your purchase, payment method, payment status, discount, delivery method and delivery address.
- Your leisure activities, interest and events. This includes information regarding events we organize or sponsor, including your interest in and registration to those events (including the date and place of the event and your personal targets), as well as your reason for running and other fitness activities, whether you prefer to run alone or with friends and what other sports you enjoy.
- Your training and running data. The training and running data that you fill out on or generate through the use of our Services or that you import from other apps or services from our partners or third parties, including your running experience and current running abilities (the distance you can run and the time that you can run it in), your training goal (aimed distance and race time), performance (distance and race time, records), training schedule (date, duration and type), your type of running (trail running, natural running or speed running) and your fitness activities.
- Your details regarding contests. The data we collect if you participate in a contest.
- Your reviews. The opinions, experiences, preferences and interests, and product or event reviews that you publish on our websites or share with us online or through social media, such as your experiences and tips regarding gear, your race day and your training schedule. .
- Your communication data. Your requests, any complaints you may have and any other data that we receive if we communicate with you via e-mail, online or via social media.
SPECIAL CATEGORIES OF PERSONAL DATA:
We may also collect information you voluntarily provide to us in relation to your physique, condition or nutrition in order to customize and enhance your experience when using our products and Services. These personal data may – by itself or in combination – reveal information about your (physical) health. The special categories of personal data may include:
- Activity data and other information you provide when using the Services. Your foot and clothes size and other personal measurement information and activity data that you voluntarily share with us through the use of the Services, such as weight, height, heartrate, calories burned, steps taken, nutritional information, sleep activities, other activity data (type, duration and frequency of fitness activities, distance, speed, pace, step count) and injuries.
- Your running specifics. Your current running shoe, which running type you are and the level of your running.
- Your test and measurement results. Measurement data we collect if you participate in one of our tests or measurement programs, such as Foot ID, Motion ID, Running Lab, 3D foot shape measurement, leg alignment measurement, body composition measurement, leg strength test, running form test, aerobic test and similar measurement programs and tests. Measurement data that we collect during our tests may also include heartrate, blood pressure, oxygen level in blood, fat and muscle mass weight and percentage, BMI, BMR, strength and endurance.
In addition, when using our Services, we may also collect and use exact information regarding your location, such as GPS, accelerometer, your running route (including precise location data that shows your geographical position).
WHAT WE DO WITH YOUR PERSONAL DATA
ASICS collects and uses your personal data for the purposes set out below. Please be informed that insofar ASICS already holds information about you, ASICS may use that information for the same purposes.
For the performance of our agreement with you:
In order to manage and handle your purchases (online and in our stores) and to provide you with the Services you requested from us, including handling your requests, we use your contact details, your account and electronic identification data, information regarding your purchases in our stores and online, information regarding your leisure activities, interest and events, information regarding your training and running data (including your fitness activities), your Contest data, your communication data and – after your consent thereto – information regarding your Personal measurement, your running specifics, your tests, measurement results, and your location data.
To comply with a legal obligation to which ASICS is subject:
Any information referred to above in the section ‘Personal Data We Collect’ may be used to maintain appropriate business records, to comply with lawful requests by public authorities and to comply with applicable laws and regulations or as otherwise required by law.
For our legitimate commercial interests:
We may use the personal data referred to above in the section ‘Personal Data We Collect’ in order to improve our products and Services as well as to understand our customers both on an aggregated and on an individual basis. In order to do so, we may combine the data we have obtained about you from the different ASICS entities that have collected your personal data (if applicable). This also means that we analyse your use of our products and Services and we use this information to improve our products and Services and to give you a better user experience (e.g., we analyse what web pages you visit, which products and Services you use and like, how you use these products and Services, which enables us to create personal profiles and to assess what may be interesting to you, which recommendations we can give you when you purchase our products or use our Services (such based for example on your previous purchases and use of our Services)). Creating such personal profiles of our customers, also enables us to send you marketing materials that directly relate to your use of our products and Services, if you have chosen to receive such materials.
We may also enrich your personal data with data from other third party sources, such as weather forecasts based on your location (expected temperature, humidity, wind) and traffic forecasts (chance of air pollution), for example to further customize your training plan, allow you to adjust a specific run to the concrete circumstances or provide you with more detailed information about your runs.
The personal data referred to above in the section ‘Personal Data We Collect’ may also be used by ASICS:
- to generate aggregated statistics about the users of our products and Services;
- to assist in security and fraud prevention;
- for system integrity purposes (preventing hacking, cheats, spamming, etc.);
- to remind you per email of your abandoned cart or send you an order confirmation;
- to facilitate our business operations, to operate company policies and procedures;
- to enable us to merge, sell, acquire, or transfer assets; and
- for other legitimate business purposes permitted by applicable law.
Use of information based on your consent:
We may use your personal data referred to above in the section ‘Personal data we collect’ for marketing purposes based on your profiles via email, SMS, other electronic means or otherwise, but we will only do so after we have received your consent to do so.
You can withdraw your consent at any time; see the section Your Rights below.
HOW WE SHARE YOUR DATA
We may share your personal data with the following parties:
- Service Providers and Processor. We may engage third party vendors, agents, service providers, and affiliated entities to provide services to us on our behalf, such as support for the internal operations of our websites, online stores (including payment processors and third parties we use of sending your orders to your home address), Services (e.g., technical support processing), as well as related offline product support services, data storage and other services.
In providing their services, they may access, receive, maintain or otherwise process personal data on our behalf. Our contracts with these service providers do not permit use of your information for their own (marketing) purposes. Consistent with applicable legal requirements, we take commercially reasonable steps to require third parties to adequately safeguard your personal data and only process it in accordance with our instructions.
- Partners. Sometimes ASICS offers you a service or application in co-operation with partners. We may also disclose your personal data to those partners, but only where you have consented or requested that we do so. If you win a contest or sweepstake, we may disclose the names of winners online. We may also share your information with third party partners and co-sponsors, where relevant; in such cases, we will clearly notify you of the sharing, and you will have the choice not to participate or to otherwise object to such sharing.
- Corporate Transaction. In addition, information about our customers, including personal data, may be disclosed as part of any merger, sale, transfer of ASICS’ assets, acquisition, bankruptcy, or similar event.
- With Consent. We may also disclose information about you, including personal data to any other third parties, where you have consented or requested that we do so.
COOKIES, ANALYTICS AND PERSONALIZATION
DATA RELATING TO YOUR TRAINING, CONDITION AND PHYSIQUE
We may also collect personal data in relation to your physique, condition, training schedule or sports performance. This personal data may – by itself or in combination – reveal information about your health and your location. This type of sensitive personal data we collect may include:
- Personal measurement. Your foot and clothes size and other personal measurement information that you share with us or add to your MY ASICS account, such as weight and height.
- Running specifics. Your current running shoe, which running type you are (underpronating, overpronating or neutral) and the level of your running.
- Tests and measurements. Measurement data we collect if you participate in one of our tests, such as Foot ID, Motion ID, Running Lab, 3D foot shape measurement, leg alignment measurement, body composition measurement, leg strength test, running form test and aerobic test. Measurement data that we collect during our tests may include heart rate, blood pressure, oxygen level in blood, fat and muscle mass weight and percentage, BMI, BMR, strength and endurance. We also process the test results, such as the identification of areas that may be predisposed to injury and our recommendations to prevent injuries, improve your performance or which ASICS shoes or apparel fits you best.
- Your events. The data we collect if you register for or partake in an event, including aimed race time, your current running abilities (the distance you can run and the time that you can run it in) and your track results.
- Your training data. The training data that you fill out on or generate through your use of MY ASICS (app or online), that you import from the Runkeeper app or from other apps or services from our partners or third parties, including your running experience and current running abilities (the distance you can run and the time that you can run it in), your training goal (aimed distance and race time), performance (distance and race time, records), training schedule (date, duration and type), your type of running (trail running, natural running or speed running).
- Your running and precise location data. The run data that you fill out on your MY ASICS account, that you log using the MY ASICS app, that are collected through sensors on your wearable device (such as GPS, accelerometer) or that you import from the Runkeeper app or other apps or services from our partners or third parties, including the date and time of your run, run duration, run distance, running route (including precise location data that shows your geographical position), running surface, altitude and elevation, your pace, your speed, your average heart rate and your gear.
- MY ASICS Exchange. The experiences and tips you share on food and nutrition, training and performance and health and injuries on MY ASICS Exchange.
- Your pictures. Pictures that you share with us online or through social media.
- Shared or published. Any other personal data that you share with us or publish on our websites in relation to your physique, condition, training schedule or sports performance, such as reason for running, whether you prefer to run alone or with friends, what other sports you enjoy and injuries suffered.
TECHNICAL DATA AND COOKIES
When you visit one of our websites or use one of our mobile apps, we automatically collect certain technical data, such as the type of computer operating system (e.g., Windows or Mac OS) and browser (e.g., Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari) being used, your internet service provider, your IP address or, when appropriate, the address of the page that led you to visiting our website. We also receive an automatic notification if you open a newsletter or click on a link in our newsletter.
PARENTS AND GUARDIANS
If you are under 16 years of age, we may also collect the contact details of your parents or legal guardians. Their personal data is required so that we may receive their consent to provide you with the services you have requested. For further information on how their personal data will be collected please see ‘ If you are under 16 years of age ’ below.
HOW WE COLLECT PERSONAL DATA
ASICS may obtain your personal data in a number of ways, for example when you create a nASICS ID or create or complete MY ASICS account or an account for one of ASICS' web shops, when you purchase a product or service online or in our stores, when you use MY ASICS (online or via our app) to create a training plan or log your runs, through the sensors of your wearable device, when you import data from the Runkeeper app or the app or services of one or our partners or third parties, when you share personal preferences, experiences or reviews with us online or through social media, when you communicate with us via e-mail, online or social media, when you subscribe to our newsletter, when you complete an event or membership registration form, or if you participate in one of our physical tests or measurements or in one of our contests.
We also may obtain your personal data from our group companies (including Haglöfs Holding AB and its subsidiaries and FitnessK eeper Inc.) or one of our partners. For example, when you register for the service of such a partner and you agree that they may share your personal data with ASICS. If you do not want us to use personal data obtained from our partners, you can let us know by contacting ASICS in your location referred to under ‘Contact and queries’ below .
WHAT WE DO WITH YOUR PERSONAL DATA
ASICS obtains and uses your personal data for the following purposes:
- Your ASICS ID and your accounts. password and ASICS user ID number to link these accounts together so you can use the same sign in details to access all our services. For more information, please see ‘ASICS ID and sign in’. We may also use this information to
- Our online services or applications. We will use your personal data to facilitate the use of our website, mobile apps and tools and to provide you with our services and allow you the use of our features in connection therewith. For more information on what information we use and how we use it for this purpose, see ‘MY ASICS Training Plans’ and ‘MY ASICS Profile’.
- Your online orders. We use your contact details, account information and the data we collect if you visit our web shop or order a service or product online, to facilitate the use of our web shop, handle your order, provide you with our products or services or to communicate with you in connection herewith. We may for example remind you per email of your abandoned car t or send you an order confirmation.
- Your purchases in our stores. We use the data we collect when you purchase something from our stores, to handle your purchase, deliver you the product or service and for administrat i on and other purposes discussed in this policy.
Test and measurement. We use your account information (such as gender and age), your personal measurement data, your running specifics, training data and test and measurement data to test and measure your performance and provide you with recommendations. For more information see ‘Tests and measurements’. With your consent (either opt-out or opt-in, depending on the circumstances), we may also use your data for statistical research and targeting (see ‘Statistical research’ and ‘Targeted marketing’).
- Contests and memberships. We use your contact details and the information we collect if you register for our contests or membership programs, to handle the registration and to facilitate those contests or membership programs.
- Your events. We use your contact details to register you for events. We also use your event data to provide you with a comprehensive overview of your performance and statistics.
- Statistical research. We use your personal data to conduct statistical research, evaluate our products, services, mobile applications and events and to improve them, to provide more responsive customer services and to improve the design and content of our websites, web shops and mobile applications. For more information on the personal data that we use for this purpose, see ‘Statistical research’.
- Targeted marketing. We use your personal data to – based on your preferences and interests – suggest and provide you with information about our products, services, applications and events. Such data may be collected through many of the sources listed in this section, including offline in stores and at events. For more information on the personal data that we use for this purpose, see ‘Targeted marketing’ below.
- Newsletter. We use your contact details to register you for and send you reminders and newsletters via email or push notifications. Our newsletter may contain information in relation to all of our brands (see ‘Who we are’).
- Communication. We use your contact details and your requests and complaints to process these requests and complaints and to communicate with you.
- Compliance. Where necessary we use your personal data to comply with applicable laws and regulations; investigate or prevent illegal activities, suspected fraud, violations of our terms and conditions, or threats to the property or safety of any person; and protect our legal rights or defend against legal claims.
- Specific purpose. If we have clearly communicated a specific purpose for use of your data at the time you voluntarily submit or publish that data, we will use the data for that purpose as well.
ASICS ID AND SIGN IN
MY ASICS PROFILE
MY ASICS TRAINING PLANS
MY ASICS lets you create a smart, customized training plan. For that purpose we provide you with your training plan on the basis of the following information:
- Basic personal and training data. Your gender, age, goals (run distance and run time), the running event you wish to partake in and your current running abilities (the distance you can run and the time that you can run it in).
- Other profile information. Your weight, height , location and diet, but only if you have filled out this information on your MY ASICS profile. When you remove this personal data from your MY ASICS account, we will no longer use that data to customize your training plan.
- Log data. MY ASICS allows you to log the date and time of your run, run duration, run distance, running route (including location data that shows your geographical position), running surface, altitude and elevation, your pace, your speed, your average heart rate and your gear. You can log your run manually online or automatically via the app. For that last purpose we may use the sensors of your wearable device to collect data.
- Public data. We may enrich your run data with data from public sources, such as weather forecasts based on your location (expected temperature, humidity, wind) and traffic forecasts (chance of air pollution) to further customize your training plan, allow you to adjust a specific run to the concrete circumstances or provide you with more detailed information about your runs.
You can choose to sync the data collected through the app with your online MY ASICS account. We store the data on our servers to provide you access to the data collected with the app through your my ASICS account and for other purposes discussed in this policy . This allows you to have a more complete and comprehensive overview of your running data and training statistics.
You can always access your run data through your MY ASICS account.
TESTS AND MEASUREMENTS
At your request ASICS may measure or test your physique, strength, motion or endurancethrough services such as Foot ID, Motion ID, Running Lab ( 3D foot shape measurement, leg alignment measurement, body composition measurement, leg strength test, running form test and aerobic test). Together with other information you have provided to us (such as your gender, age, personal measurement data, running specifics or training data, see ‘Data relating to your training, physique and condition’ ), we analyse the results of these tests and measurements to advise you, for example on how to improve your running ability, boost your performance or what ASICS shoes or apparel fit you and suit your running style best. With your consent (either opt-out or opt-in, depending on the circumstances) , we may also use your data for statistical research and targeting (see ‘Statistical research’ and ‘Targeted marketing’).
MY ASICS EXCHANGE
answers. Other users (including non-MY ASICS registered users) can see your responses by reading the page of the question. You can also share your answers via social media. You can easily edit your answers on MY ASICS Exchange any time. It is not possible though to edit social shares via MY ASICS Exchange. Please note that some of the tips and experiences may
When you participate in various social media forums like Facebook, Twitter, Yammer, Pinterest, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc., you should be familiar with and understand the tools provided by those sites that allow you to make choices about how you share the personal data in your social media profile(s).
Also, depending on the choices you have made regarding your settings on various social media sites (and/or in combination with your settings on the ASICS pages), certain personal data may be shared with ASICS about your online activities and social media profiles (e.g. interests, marital status, gender, user name, photo, comments and content you have posted/shared etc.).
IF YOU ARE UNDER 16 YEARS OF AGE
Our online Services are not directed to children under 13 years of age. If you believe we have collected information about a child under the age of 13, please contact us (see ‘Data Protection Officer - Contact and Queries’ below) so that we may take appropriate steps to delete such information.
If you are at least 13 but under 16 years of age, please get the consent of your parent or legal guardian before you give us any personal data about yourself. Your parent or guardian should contact the ASICS company responsible for using your personal data – the overview of the applicable ASICS companies can be found here [link to Overview of ASICS companies] - and provide us with their name, e-mail address, street address, telephone number, and any other identifying information that we may request. ASICS needs this information in order to verify that they have provided the necessary consent. We may follow up by phone or other means in some circumstances. If you are at least 13 but under 16 years of age, do not contact us or provide us with any personal data until after your parent or guardian has sent us an e-mail consenting to your contact and provision of such information.
INTERNATIONAL TRANSFERS OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Please be informed that ASICS may transfer and process any personal data you provide to us to countries other than your country of residence. The laws of these countries may not afford the same level of protection to your personal data. ASICS will therefore seek to ensure that all adequate safeguards are in place and that all applicable laws and regulations are complied with in connection with such transfer. More in particular for data transferred from the EU to countries outside the EU, ASICS is using Intra Group Data Transfer Agreements based on EU Model Clauses.
SECURITY AND RETENTION PERIOD
We will retain your personal data, unless you request us to cancel your account or until we cancel your account due to inactivity. We will consider your account ‘inactive’ if you a) haven’t registered for an ASICS ID account or another ASICS account or b) when you haven’t used your ASICS ID account or another ASICS account for a period of two years. Before your account becomes inactive, we will notify you requesting you to sign up for or use your ASICS ID or another ASICS account to prevent your account being inactive. We will cancel your account upon your request or within 30 calendar days of it becoming inactive. When we cancel your account, your personal data will be deleted, such with the exception of your account data and your training and running data in case you are using the RunKeeper app, which data will be stored for an additional three years after your account becomes inactive (unless you ask us to delete your data earlier). Also, if we need to store certain types of your personal data for a longer period due to legal requirements, we will store such data in accordance with the mandatory periods.
ACCESS AND CORRECTION RIGHTS
You can access the following rights by means of sending an email to the ASICS company responsible for using your personal data (an overview can be found here [link to Overview of ASICS companies]): right of access, right of rectification, right to erasure, right to restrict data processing, right to object against profiling and your right to data portability. Whenever reasonably possible and required, we will strive to grant these rights within one month.
You may revoke your consent for receiving marketing communications at any time, free of charge by following the instructions in any marketing communication. You can also control these preferences in your profile settings. ASICS will then stop applying the research results to you at an individual level and will stop sending you marketing communications.
In case you wish to revoke your consent to ASICS using your health data or location data, you can send an email to the ASICS company responsible for using your personal data. You can also control these preferences in your profile settings.
In case you may have a question or complaint about how we process your personal data, you can send an email to the ASICS company responsible for using your personal data. Alternatively, you may consider lodging a complaint with a supervisory data protection authority.
In certain jurisdictions, additional or deviating rules and rights apply to those set out in the section Your Rights above. This is applicable in the following jurisdictions
OVERVIEW OF ASICS COMPANIES RESPONSIBLE FOR USE OF PERSONAL DATA
Depending on the Services you are using, the products you are buying and where you live, the following ASICS companies are responsible for using your personal data.
7-1-1, Minatojima-Nakamachi, Chuo-ku
Kobe 650-8555 Japan
When you use/purchase the following Services and products, FitnessKeeper Inc., will also be considered responsible for collecting and using your personal data: [overview products/Services]
The contact details of FitnessKeeper Inc. are:
1 Winthrop Square, Boston, MA 02110 U.S.A.
ASICS ASIA PTE. LTD SINGAPORE
For residents in Singapore, ASICS Asia PTE. LTD will also be considered responsible for collecting and using your personal data. The contact details of ASICS Asia PTE. LTD are:
ASICS Asia PTE. LTD.
1 Wallich Street, #28-03
Guoco Tower Singapore 078881
DELETING YOUR ACCOUNT
If you no longer require your account, you may permanently delete it. Please note that you will not be able to reactivate your account or retrieve any personal data such as your training plan(s) in your account , so you may want to download any information before deletion. To delete your account you must sign-in with via our website, and choose the option to delete your account.
Our websites and mobile applications contain links to third-party websites; if you follow these links, you will exit our websites and mobile applications. While these third-party websites are selected with care, ASICS cannot accept liability for the use of your personal data by these organizations. For more information, please consult the privacy statement of the website you are visiting (if such a statement is provided).
CHANGES TO THE POLICY
CONTACT AND QUERIES