Upon looking at the GlideRide for the first time I was instantly drawn by it’s attractive design and similarity to the METARIDE. After putting on the shoe for the first time I was immediately aware of the increased cushioning which comes from the multi-layer stack cushioning that the shoe has which I will explain in more detail later on. The METARIDE really went all out in first class innovation and it’s like the Maybach of ASIC running shoes mixing phenomenal technology to make running further and faster easy! “I’ll have 2 of those please” but the top of the range technology makes it not easily accessible to the everyday runner who needs the quality, the comfort and the innovation. The MetaRide on the other hand is.
So the question to many looking at the price would be is the GlideRide a more affordable version of the METARIDE? The answer is no! The GlideRide is unique and certainly a shoe that all runners should have with it’s own great qualities.
I’m a practical person and especially very fussy about running shoes I decided to put together a review that will allow us to get to the nitty gritty of the shoe.
Here’s a simple breakdown:
- The Weight! The first thing I’m always very conscious of is the weight of the shoe, because we all know weight matters when it comes to speed on the track, road or other terrains. The GlideRide weighs in at 289 grams which for a distance everyday training shoes is perfect making it lighter than the METARIDE with is 305 grams.
- The Comfort! Comfort is everything especially on long and quality runs and the GlideRide does not compromise on this, infact it feels so much more comfortable with 7% more cushioning the the METARIDE. The GlideRide stacks the best technology for cushion using the Flytefoam as the top “marshmallow” layer which feels great on the feet, the next layer is the EVA Guide plate combined with the gel technology, and a more solid Flytefoam at the bottom to complete the stack. I found that the conventional rubber at the sole of the shoe gave it better grip on the road as well as well whilst running on all surfaces.
- The Fit! The fit is important and the Upper Mesh on the GlideRide is great as it gives the foot the support it needs, and also allows the foot to breathe.
- The Drop! The drop is always something that you know when getting a shoe as this allows you to transition into the shoes. The GlideRide has a 5mm heel-to-toe drop (31mm at the heel and 26mm to the forefoot) so it gives the stability and control that is more familiar to the everyday runner.
- The look! I know this is the most important thing for the first-time runner who just looks and colour or design as their first point of choosing running shoes but as a seasoned runner that becomes irrelevant. With that said! This shoe turns heads, it causes traffic congestion, and makes a statement of note! The design and the colours grab attention and ask onlookers, “please put me on” and once your foot is inside you are immediately in love.
I always say, if you are sceptical or intrigued by a shoe, the only way to find out is to PUT THEM ON! As Shakira wanted to say “My Feet Don’t Lie.”
Sport Manager from Pretoria
Age group: Senior
Club: EC Active Athletics Club
Coach: JJ Smith
SHOE REVIEW: ASICS GEL-NIMBUS 21by Themba Madima / Jul. 02, 2019
ASICS FrontRunner Themba Madima is an 800m athlete. His training is highly varied and through six sessions a week he covers: road running, track, hills, strength and conditioning. “Pretty much any activity that will assist me to run faster,” he says. This, includes the right shoe.