STAY MOTIVATED THROUGH THE COLD MONTHS WITH THESE 11 TIPS
The struggle is real.
Each winter, the temps drop and rainy weather sets in for days -- even weeks -- at a time. The active routine you had going in summer is now threatened by food cravings and the instinct to hibernate for three months like a North American bear ...
Don’t worry! We’re here to support you through the tough months ahead.
Even if it’s harder to get going, maintaining or increasing your level of physical activity is key to feeling good until spring arrives. So, we’ve prepared 11 tips to help you. (We don’t expect you’ll adopt all of these tips, but if even just one or two help you persevere, then you’re winning in our book!)
1) Set a goal. Challenge yourself to achieve a milestone you never thought possible. Having something to work towards means you’ll be more likely to stick to your fitness plan over the coming months. Sign up for an event, such as a road race, or set a personal goal such as being able to complete 100 press ups after 30 days.
2) Schedule time and know your routine. If you book training time in your diary, you’re more likely to follow through. Try morning sessions so you’re energised for your day, or use your lunch break as a way to squeeze physical activity into your day. Then make a point of planning your sessions. What will you do? Cardio or strength training at the gym? Some combination of both? Or will you attend a class? Know what you’re going to do so you don’t have to think about it later.
3) Find a buddy. Ask a friend, a workmate, or your partner to go for a walk, a bike ride or even attend a gym class with you. You’ll be less likely to back out on your plans if it means you’ll let your buddy down.
4) Use fitness apps to track progress. Map runs, fine tune your nutrition and power through mini-workouts! Most apps track your progress over time, which helps you stay motivated. For this reason, we recently partnered with Runkeeper to bring you the ASICS Pace Academy Challenge. Improve your speed through the cold months and be ready to fly in spring!
5) Layer up. Who likes feeling cold? Plus, using cold muscles may lead to quick fatigue or injury. Use layers to keep warm. You’ll want to wear clothing with the right performance technology for ultimate comfort. Look for lightweight, breathable fabrics that will keep you warm and let your body cool. Also, choose items with moisture wicking to keep you dry.
Treat yourself to some new performance sportswear to keep you feeling warm & motivated. Browse the ASICS women’s collection.
6) Organise a sweet playlist. The right tunes can take you from zero to hero when you’re feeling flat, so find those songs that energise you most and add them to your playlist.
7) Continue to eat well. Carbohydrate and sugar cravings often strike during cold snaps. Avoid giving in by spicing things up with a new healthy recipe. Try just one new dish one night per week. If you take the leftovers with you to work the next day, then that’s two meals you’ve kept on track!
8) Take things indoors. Try an activity like Bikram yoga -- a warm environment is sure to warm your bones! If that sort of heat is too intense for you, try other fun activities like indoor rock climbing, dancing, trampoline jumping, or swimming. Or consider group classes such as pump, barre, cycling and boxing. When you're sheltered from the cold, wind and rain, you can enjoy your training.
9) Get your Zs. Getting enough sleep each night helps refresh your mind and body. This alone improves morale and motivation!
10) Set up a home gym. If making it to the gym or a class is a massive challenge, you don’t need much to get started with exercise at home. A yoga mat, a couple of free weights and a few basic moves is enough. Try an online workout or watch TV while you train.
11) Be ready. Pick out your training clothes the night before and have them ready to put on or stashed in your gym bag for later in the day.
We hope some of these tips will help you charge ahead despite the cold. Just remember: keep moving for you. Your overall well-being is what matters most!
ASICS performance womens’s sportwear and mens gym clothes help to boost your mood and keep you looking and feeling warm through winter and beyond. Browse the ASICS apparel collection available online now.