The benefits of a regular running regime can include a happier mood, more energy, increased confidence and less stress. It’s also one of the best exercise to lose weight - no gym required. What are you waiting for? Lace up those trainers.
1. Find the best running shoes for you. Visit your local Running Expert Specialist store for custom advice including gait analysis, 3D foot mapping, and shoe fitting. Our Knowledge Base is also chock full of helpful info on choosing your running shoes.
2. Set yourself a goal. This might be running in a 5k race, or losing 10 pounds. Start small and make sure your goal is achievable. Setting your goal too high might get you discouraged and wanting to quit.
3. Find a running buddy. Having someone to motivate you is invaluable. Set running dates together and stick to them.
4. Run off-road on softer ground. It will introduce your joints and muscles to the impact of running. Wear the right gear for an off-road run and be sure your shoes have good grip for the terrain.
5. Make sure you drink enough water. It's best to start a run well hydrated. Try to drink 500ml of fluid about two hours beforehand. Then just before you set out hydrate with 150ml. Don't forget to replace that fluid after your run too.
6. Start by walking for two minutes and jogging for one minute. Repeat five to 10 times (adding a repetition when you feel able), and keep doing this until it feels easy.
7. Progress to walking for two minutes and jogging for two minutes. Repeat four to eight times (adding a repetition when you can). Once you can do eight reps, up your jogging time to three minutes, doing it four to eight times.
8. Drop the walking interval to one minute. Then add one to two minutes to each jogging interval every week until you can eliminate the walking break.
9. Keep a running log. This is where you record each run that you do. It’s excellent for motivation and tracking your progress. Try the ASICS Runkeeper app for guided audio cues and detailed stats.
10. Enjoy yourself! Harness that runner's high, the sense of achievement, and always remember your why.
For more information on getting started running read our guide covering the best ways to make your run goals a reality.
Also, don't forget to browse our full collection of running gear:
Find the next perfect pair for you with the ASICS Shoe Finder tool. Answer a few questions and we'll match you with some of the best shoe options.