GUIDE TO VOLLEYBALL SHOES
A guide to what you need
Volleyball is a fast, physical sport based around power and agility. And the shoe you need has to match your own skill set. Each player brings something different to the court, from defensive blocking at low level to leaping high at the net to attack the ball. Whether you’re a fast-jumping blocker, a speedy, powerful hitter, an agile, flexible libero or a tactically-astute setter, each player needs a shoe that fits their particular style and physical attributes. That’s why ASICS have a wide range of volleyball shoes, giving you the opportunity to find one that suits you perfectly.
Whatever your style and position, whether a novice, an occasional player or a club all-round player, you’ll need to look for certain features in a good general-purpose volleyball shoe:
- Excellent grip because courts can be slippery
- Protective cushioning to protect against the jarring shocks of a hard court sport
- Lateral stability so that sudden changes of direction don’t leave you off balance
Keeping a firm footing is vital for tough defensive specialists, smart setters or deep-digging liberos.
When your natural habitat is the back row, rapid reactions and tactical know-how need to be backed up by a shoe that allows sudden changes of direction and stability, even when at full stretch.
The perfect defensive shoe needs:
- Stability to give a sure-footed foundation to serves, passes and digs
- A high-grip outsole for fast changes of direction around the court
- A low profile to aid speed and comfort
- Impact shock absorption to cushion landings and take-offs
When it comes to the sharp end of play, whether powering in shots as an outside hitter or up front in the vital blocker’s position, you’ll need to get up above the net, with jumping power absolutely vital.
So you’ll need:
- Excellent cushioning to handle the demands of jumping on a hard court surface
- Lightweight material to help you jump higher and further
- Excellent fit to give you stability when moving fast around the court
- Optimal traction to allow agility and quick movement without slipping